Starting a small business is a large undertaking. There is a lot of different information available, and the chance of misinformation is high. Many people think about the business name and logo but there is a lot more that goes into starting a business. Rules and regulations are different depending on the state and county where your business will operate. Using resources such as the Small Business Administration (SBA) and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) will help you find accurate information for the area in which you plan to start your business.
The University of Mary Washington SBDC offers a First Steps to Starting Your Business webinar. This webinar covers the basics of starting a business in Virginia and is offered live every 3 weeks. Topics covered include:
- Understanding how the SBDC can help your business: The SBDC offers a variety of services that can help you start and grow your business.
- Providing information on the various Business Structures: We go over 5 of the most common business structures used to establish a business.
- Conducting business research: We share a variety of resources to help you conduct business research and detail information about research that can be done by the SBDC.
- Local requirements: Each county/city has their own rules. Learn where to go and what is required in most areas in Virginia.
- Insurances: There are a variety of insurances coverages available. Find out which ones you need to ensure your business is protected.
- The importance of a business plan: Learn why a business plan is important to the long-term success of your business.
New this year, the webinar is being offered in a fully automated online learning module. This learning module is self-paced and accessible 24/7. It offers the opportunity to start to work on your mission statement and customer discovery, and it challenges you to answer some of the reasons you want to be a business owner. It also covers the above information from the webinar.
If you need assistance starting your business, the University of Mary Washington Small Business Development Center is here to help. We provide training webinars and free, confidential business consulting. Fill out a Request for Consulting form or register for a webinar on our website www.umw.edu/sbdc.