The UMW Center for Economic Development offers a student entrepreneur education program, StartUpUMW, that teaches you essential skills and effective strategies for starting and running a business. Through this semester-long education program designed to engage and inspire, you will learn by doing from successful business owners and local professionals.
What will you gain?
- A valuable set of skills and knowledge customized to fit your career goals
- The opportunity to learn from experienced, successful entrepreneurs and professionals
- A greater understanding of what it means to be entrepreneurial
- Access to research databases, business consultants and office space to grow your business idea
- Tools to write your own business plan which can be used to seek funding for a business venture
- Feedback and guidance from the UMW Center for Economic Development’s team
- An opportunity to win academic scholarship money
- Fulfillment of the Experiential Learning credit or Internship Experience or Independent Study
What are the program requirements?
- You do not need to have business experience
- If you do not have a business idea, you will develop one during the program
- Must be able to attend all seminars
- Must be a UMW sophomore, junior or senior
- All majors are eligible
- Must have at least a 2.0 GPA
- Must submit a summary of your experience and offer a testimonial at the end of the semester
What is the program schedule?
We will meet once a week throughout the semester. Day and time will be determined after reviewing all applicant schedules.
How do I apply?
The deadline to apply for Spring 2017 is Friday, January 13, 2017. To apply, you must be a current UMW student. Please fill out the online application.
Contact Kelsey Whitman: