The UMW Center for Economic Development offers a student entrepreneur education program, StartUpUMW, that teaches you essential skills and effective strategies for starting and running a business. Through this semester-long program designed to engage and inspire, you will learn by doing from successful business owners and local professionals.
What will you gain?
- The opportunity to learn from experienced, successful entrepreneurs and professionals
- A greater understanding of what it means to be entrepreneurial
- Access to research databases, business consultants and office space to grow your business idea
- Tools to write your own business plan
- Feedback and guidance from the UMW Center for Economic Development’s team
- Fulfillment of the Experiential Learning credit or Internship Experience or Independent Study
What are the program requirements?
- You do not need to have business experience
- If you do not have a business idea, you will develop one during the program
- Must be able to attend all seminars
- Must be a current UMW or Germanna student
- All majors are eligible
- Must have at least a 2.0 GPA
- Must submit a summary of your experience and offer a testimonial at the end of the semester
What is the program schedule?
We will meet once a week throughout the semester. Day and time will be determined after reviewing all applicant schedules.
How do I apply?
At this time, we are planning to offer StartUpUMW in fall 2020 either virtually or in-person, pending UMW’s decisions. To apply, you must be a current UMW or Germanna student. Please fill out the online application.
Contact Kelsey Whitman: